Home School Day at Museum – Old Independence Regional Museum will host its fall Home School Day on Monday, September 29, 2014 from 9 a.m. to Noon, with sign-in beginning at 8:45 a.m. Registration and a program fee of $5 are due by September 24, 2014. This fall’s theme will be “Tell Me a Story through Song.”Arkansas has a rich history of folksongs that told stories of events and people. Students will learn about regional folk songs and some songwriters. Each song tells a story and several were created with students in mind – to help them remember historical events, math facts, or grammar rules. Students will complete several crafts including making paper roses, creating an “ArkansasTravel Brocchure” and decorating their own bandanas. While discussing songs of the Civil War era students will have the opportunity to sample chicory and hardtack. Again, the cost for this program is $5.00 per participant and space is limited to 50 participants, sobe sure to register before September 24, 2014. Old Independence serves a 12-county area: Baxter, Cleburne, Fulton, Independence, Izard,Jackson, Marion, Poinsett, Sharp, Stone, White, and Woodruff. Parts of these present-daycounties comprised the original Independence County in 1820s Arkansas territory.This humanities program is made possible by local support from Independence County and theCity of Batesville, as well as by Challenge Grant Endowment funding from the NationalEndowment of the Humanities. Any views, findings, conclusions or recommendationsexpressed in this program do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for theHumanities.
- Powhatan Historic State Park Holiday Open House Dec. 9 and Soap Workshop Dec. 2
- Potters David and Becki Dahlstedt Featured Artists Nov. 18 at Arkansas Craft Gallery
- Dr. Brooks Blevins, Speaker at Old Independence Regional Museum on Nov. 19th!
- “Hometown Heroes’ Documentary Debuting at Melba”
- Decorate a Living Window or Plan a Float for Calico Rock’s Annual Christmas Living Windows and Lighted Christmas Parade Dec. 9th!