Arkansas State Park Legacy Week – Hands On in the Park
August 26-September 1, 2014 is Arkansas State Park’s Legacy Week. At the Ozark Folk Center State Park, we are celebrating our legacy and connecting with our roots by sharing our traditions of hands on learning. Spend time with our crafts people and learn how to make things with your own hands.
You’ll be able to learn how to turn a top on a lathe and then throw it, dip a candle, make a corn-husk doll, stitch your own quilt, weave a scarf and so much more. All week long, we are featuring hands-on opportunities in the craft shops. In addition to our regular Tuesday- Saturday week, the Craft Village will be open Sunday and Monday, August 31 and September 1 for the Labor Day Holiday.
Hands On Happenings –
Free with Regular Admission
- Wood lathe—spin a top
- Shannon Cabin—Feel your way around the touch table
- Weaving Shop—Weave on the rigid heddle loom
- Music & More shop—Play a diddly-bow
- Art Guild Cabin—Try your hand at drawing
- Children’s Garden—Explore nature, history and toys.
For an additional cost—
- Jewelry Shop—String your own necklace $3.95
- Leather Shop—Stamp a ID Tag $5.00
- Apothecary Shop—Make your own felted soap $5.00
- Candle Shop—Color dip candles, $3.00/ pair
- Doll Shop – Tie a cornhusk doll bookmark, $2.00
- Clothier – Make your own rag doll, $6.00
- Print Shop – Print your own bookmark, $2.00
- Lathe Shop—learn to turn a top and buy the top for 10% discount off regular price.
- Pottery Shop—At 3:00 p.m. only – Turn a pot on the wheel, $5.00.
The mission of Ozark Folk Center State Park is to perpetuate, present and promote the Ozark way of life in an educational and enjoyable manner; through craft demonstrations, musical programs, the Heritage Herb Garden, workshops and other special events.
The crafts we create and share are a part of the Ozark way of life.